31.8.10

Back to Training

I am back in New York and have resumed my marathon training. Berlin, after all, is in less than a month!

The brief interlude in Colombia proved to be a good rest in the end. I came back on Friday afternoon so very eager to come back to running that I squeezed a quick 4 miler before dinner despite the long journey back. Saturday morning I had scheduled a slow, leisurely 12 miler in anticipation to a long run on Sunday. But my legs were craving for speed and I could hardly control them as I was running in 6:40s (50 seconds faster than I wanted) for most of the way. Running on the Bridle Path in CP did slow me down eventually.

I had intended to run around 22 miles on Sunday afternoon. However, the fast run the previous day coupled with  heat and humidity, plus the sudden shot up in running volume did take its toll. I made more (and longer) stops than I wanted, but did manage to finish 21 miles. My legs on Monday were the sorest they have been since Boston,  I think.

Overall, I am glad on how things are. I have relatively hard week and on Saturday plan to run a 24 miler (the longest run this training cycle).

1 comment:

Robert James Reese said...

I imagine the vacation might actually have had a positive effect on your running. You seem to have come back from it very strong. I'm looking forward to seeing the results from Berlin.