17.2.09

Trying to take it easy

Yes, I think taking the day off from swimming gave a new spring to my running. The legs still feel heavy, but are much better. The long run on Saturday along the East River and the recovery run around Central Park with Robert on Sunday were both nice.
Weather was great for running -- sunny, low 30s.

I have been having issues with pacing. Both the long run and the recovery run were faster than I had planned. I wanted to run the long run at a 7.30 mile pace, but ran it at 15 seconds a mile faster. I knew I had run the first 8 miles at around 7.20 mile pace and wanted to run the second half slower. But ended up negative splitting and running the second 8 miles at 7.10 mile pace.

Then on Sunday again, our intent was to run a nice 7.30 mile pace 6 miler, but for some reason we could not control ourselves and ended up running close to 7 minute miles. We even ran the park clockwise (instead of the more popular counter-clockwise direction), but running against the other runners just made us more eager to finish the run faster.

Both were great runs and really felt great afterwards. I just need to learn to control myself and run easily without risking getting injured again.

1 comment:

Robert James Reese said...

I still say it's better to have the problem of running too fast than not fast enough. :-) Same thing happened to me again today. I did 5.5 on the East River at 6:45 pace. I was plannng 7:15... Hopefully our times in Brooklyn this weekend will be faster than planned too!