9.7.10

12 weeks to Berlin

This week marked the beginning of my training for the Berlin Marathon in late September. But unlike other training cycles I will mostly keep this one a bit 'unstructured'.

The only workout that I will follow each week will be the long run on weekends, which will be anything from 18 to 24 miles depending on the week. As for speed work, I will just take part in some short races during these 3 months and that should be Ok. I already run 50-60 mile weeks as is, so I do not think I will have a hard time reaching my goal of maxing out at 70+ miles. However, that will serve more as a guideline than anything else. If in week I fail to reach my expected mileage, I won't lose sleep over it. I have reached a stage in my running experience where I can trust myself and see how my training is unfolding.

Running in this week's hot and humid weather has been very tough. Even at 6am it has been hard to get the workout done. I am not sure I will be able to run a good race tomorrow in this weather. I have been targeting the Dash & Splash 10K for a PR, but I have lowered my expectations and will only try to run a solid under 40 min race under these conditions.

1 comment:

Robert James Reese said...

I saw you hit the sub-40. Nice work. Did you do the Splash after the Dash?

This heat has definitely made things tough. Other than our run Wednesday, I didn't get in any quality workouts. I'm hoping to get in a long run tomorrow though.